Hi! Welcome to my cosy little corner of the internet and the Annie's Table blog. :D Most often you'll find me working on embroidery, needlework and quilting. But i'll try my hand at anything; knitting, paper craft and card making, even baking. Because whats an afternoon tea break without a good slice of vanilla sponge cake eh. I like posting patterns and tutorials, and sharing my explorations into new crafts and techniques. I love hearing from my visitors, so any questions or feedback pls don't be shy!

Friday 29 March 2013

Having a clear out

As I have mentioned in previous posts, work space is not something I have a lot of at the moment.
Recently I have come across lots of crafty little storage ideas, so it was the perfect excuse to have a good clear out and try to organize the chaos.

This heart shaped scissor keep by Wendy over at Handmade Harbour is really cute and increadably easy to make.


Made with some old denim and fabric scraps, I put this together in about half an hour. All it needs now is to go through the wash to fray the edges a bit. I don't know how I've lived with out this, It's brilliant. Check out the Handmade Harbour site and the tutorial for this here.

My second project for today has been this quilted fabric box by Tina Craig. I thought it would be perfect for storing all of my cotton reels and bobbins. Again it's incredibly quick and easy to make.


This was my first attempt. Silly me thought I could get away with doing the quilting without a walker foot.
I made a second slightly smaller box in the same blue stripe fabric as the scissor keep (with walker foot) which turned out much neater.



This has now been snatched up by my fiance and is now storing bits n bobs next to the computer. I have a feeling I shall be making a few of these. Check out the tutorial and Tina's blog over at Seaside Stitches.

 

So my sewing table is nice and tidy for once, now I've just got to clear this lot out.


17 comments:

  1. I do like the idea of a scissors store. My problem is that scissors are usually scattered all over the house, but I can never find a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not just any old craft storage then! Homemade bits too. I hope you feel especially pleased with yourself. I really like the first attempt at the quilted fabric box. It is nice and bright and I cannot see anything wrong with it. Your sewing desk looks amazing. long will it stay that way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love fabric storage pots. I have a few and they look pretty as well as useful. :)

    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the storage, being tidy is an ongoing battle on Planet Penny! Love your fabric boxes, particularly the blue one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some great ideas there. Storage (and tidyness!)is such a problem for most crafters, me included.

    Celia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your scissor keeper looks fab - I'm so glad my tutorial was useful. Mine is proving so useful to me too - I can't imagine being without it now! I love your storage pots too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing it. It is proving very handy. I now have a small needle holder hanging next to it as well. :)

      Delete
    2. Haha, snap - I have a little felt heart needle holder next to mine too!

      Delete
  7. You're making me feel a bit guilty I have more space than you but it's not in the best state of tidiness. My current excuse is that I've had a move around and everything hasn't found its new home yet! I'll definitely be making the scissor keep as mine like to hide themselves when I need them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more space you have the more untidy you can afford to be, haha. The scissor keep is very handy, I once found my best fabric shears being used in the kitchen and nearly had a heart attack. Never again :)

      Delete
  8. love the fabric boxes you made - perfect addition to the crafter's room and so is the scissors holder :)
    I can never get enough space for my stuff - I seem to be everlasting expanding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How great that you've managed to use 2 tutorials to solve your storage problems. It proves tutorials are worth doing. Your makes look great

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your fabric boxes are fab! Hope you had a good Easter, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. The boxes are lovely - am just about to embark on my first quilting project so I might just try one first!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your storage boxes. Such a great idea. I'll have to make one or two....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the storage pots, they're really cute :-) Always nice to know that tutorials don't take most of the day to complete! Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fina boxar, syr en själv just nu.
    Hälsingar. Marianne

    ReplyDelete