Hi! Welcome to my cosy little corner of the internet and the Annie's Table blog. :D Most often you'll find me working on embroidery, needlework and quilting. But i'll try my hand at anything; knitting, paper craft and card making, even baking. Because whats an afternoon tea break without a good slice of vanilla sponge cake eh. I like posting patterns and tutorials, and sharing my explorations into new crafts and techniques. I love hearing from my visitors, so any questions or feedback pls don't be shy!

Saturday 2 March 2013

Pay it forward and Cake!


I decided to have some me time and spend a lazy day in the kitchen. This is one of my favorite recipes, I adore caraway seed cake and it's the easiest thing in the world to make.


You will need;
6oz (175g) Margarine or softened butter
6oz (175g) Caster sugar
8oz (250g) Self-raising flour
3 medium eggs
3 tsp of caraway seed
2tbsp milk


I use a loaf tin and parchment liners for this but any cake tin will do, as long as it is buttered and lined to prevent the cake sticking.
Begin by creaming together the butter and sugar. I have always used margarine in my cakes rather than butter, I find it gives a far moister cake and is far easier to use. Always use a good quality brand with a high fat content.
Mix the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture along with the caraway seeds, then slowly add the flour and milk and mix until smooth. Pour the mixture into your prepared cake tin and bake in a pre-heated oven at 160°C (320°F, gas mark 3) for 45 mins-1 hr. Insert a knife or skewer in to the top of the cake and it should come out clean. If not, return the cake to the oven for a further 5mins and test again.

If you're a big fan of caraway cake, you can crush some of the seeds in a mortar before adding to the mix, but be warned this creates a very intense flavour.









I have also been testing out some new bread recipes, this one for cheese and onion bread can be found here at thepinkwhisk, check out the site if your haven't seen it before there are some amazing recipe ideas.



So now I have a nice cup of tea and a slice of cake I can get on with this,


This is the first of my creative pay it forward pieces for this year, you can visit the facebook page group here.

 A 'Pay It Forward' is a brilliant idea to spread some creative love. Post on your blog about your pay it forward and choose five people from the comments to receive something from yourself at some point this year. This has to be something handmade by you, not shop-bought. It can be anything from a drawing, quilt, knitwear, jewellery, anything you want to make. And in return those five people have to do the same on their blog.




I haven't decided yet whether to turn this into a cushion cover or a tote bag, or even just to frame it as it is.What do you think?
But for now i'm heading over to Handmade Harbour to see what the lovely creative people over there have been getting up to.


14 comments:

  1. Mmmm, love the flavor caraway seeds. This looks easy enough for even a space alien to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pay it forward idea sounds really interesting, I'm going to look into it. Lovely cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your bit of embroidery - the sentiment is right up my street!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake looks yummy.
    Love the embroidery too, but I think if it were about me it would say 'Where there's tea...there's biscuits'!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is lovely. I am very new to embroidery and I really love it. How do you do the filling in of the letters? I just can't quite make mine look neat and your look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :), the letters are done in satin stitch filling in the outline which is done in basic back stitch.
      I've only been doing embroidery for about a year or so, I love it too. I usually like to work quite fast, but with this I really had to learn to slow down and concentrate on keeping my stitches even.

      Delete
    2. Yes that is the big problem that I am having that I usually work quite fast and this is SO slow! It is def making me slow down.

      Delete
  6. Lovely embroidery and the cake sounds yummy too - I also like the sound of the cheese and onion bread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great saying you have chosen. I guess many people will relate to that :) Like the sound of the cake too. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your embroidery is very impressive. When I was a child I pestered my mum to make seed cake, and then didn't like it. But I should give it another go, as that was about 40 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never has a truer word been stitched! ;) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cake looks yummy. I've never tried caraway seeds before so I must give it a go sometime.

    Your embroidery is beautiful. Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! I love caraway seeds so I'm definitely going to try that cake - it looks delish! And thank you for the link to the site with the bread recipes - I'm a real bread and cake fiend!! Love the embroidery - it looks beautiful. I think it would be great framed. Have a good week, Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree the cake looks yummy! What a lovely idea the pay it forward is. I haven't come across this before. I think your embroidery would look wonderful as a tote bag or cushion cover.
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete